Thursday, December 19, 2019

A Matter of Time





After the sudden death of our Alsatian bitch Lada, we took 
in a new puppy. Of course, it, too, was Alsatian. 
Of course, a girl. Of course, for soothing the gnawing 
feeling of the loss…

We named her almost identically – Lara. I thought it indecent 
not to give a live being a name of its own.
On seeing me, the puppy toddles up to me and presses 
herself against my feet. I take her up in my arms. She smells differently than Lada. Lada emanated a faint aroma of a 
sheepskin, a homespun coat, and a leather jacket. 
Yes, we knew each other even by smell.

I stroke Lara, a little ball of fur. I stroke her, but I see Lada… 
Tears well up in my eyes. No, I don’t feel for this little puppy 
what I did for Lada. I become angry at myself. You, egoist! 
You love YOURSELF! YOUR love you cherish! What is the 
fault of that little creature on your lap?
I stroke Lara and think that all lies ahead for us, probably. 
We may come to love each other and become great friends. 
You are already seeking my company, Lara. One day you too 
will enter into my heart to become part of my life. This is, 
perhaps, just a matter time... Time will show. But... 
whatever happens, a nook has formed somewhere deep in my heart, and there will always be that loyal and loving friend of 
mine…

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Abacus

  It hurts. It hurts deeply —mentally, psychologically, and in some other way that's hard to describe. B...