Sunday, December 22, 2019

English the Bastard

ESPERANTO means "the one who hopes". Incidentally, leaning this language is showing once again (excuse me) how deficient and good for nothing English is. A bastardly and stupid language where PULL means both an action (he pulled at his whisker) and a noun. "He took a good pull of brandy". I can supply NO END of stupidities in English. Rather few in Russian. None in Esperanto. Again, this language is a simplified but strict version of Russian. But its word stock is largely Latin (spiri - breathe, labori - work, homo - man, urbo - town (urban), calcuti - calculate, studi - 
study, scienco (science) and so on.... The underlying PRINCIPLE is however that of Russian (the author knew no other, though he could speak German, Polish and Lithuanian). I never ever thought I'd take it up. It happened against my will. More to it. I was prejudiced against it, because it was a hobby of one of my college teachers of English, for whom I had no respect... But ... German can't be a bad language, even if it was the mother tongue of Hitler...
That language is allegedly simple. But it does have its ruses. Whatever they say, it can't be mastered in a single assault. Being a language of its own it needs practicing to become an easy tool. I have neither time nor burning desire to devote all of myself to it. But ... my mind finds it a relaxation of sorts... against all those bloody wingspans and areas of wings... It has its logic. And, what delights me, who has learned a handful of languages it has ABSOLUTELY rigid rules without exceptions. As rules go, there are only 16 in the language. But they are FUNDAMENTAL. The constitution of the language. And that's what I like...it's not lie (LIKE) DO DID DONE. PUT-PUT-PUT; LIKE-LIKED-LIKED; GO-WENT-GONE. That language offers even SHADES of meaning. Yes, it is in many ways good like Russian.
 I repeat, English is a piece of shit on the stick compared to normal languages. Don't take as an offense. To me English is just as dear as to you. It's been with me all through my life. I can compare it to other languages. It loses to all. "Loving ambassador" ? An ambassador who loves? Yep, it would be great to work in a country where an ambassador loves his fellow citizens... And his secretary, too, would say that a loving ambassador is a great thing... (Or a man with a great thing). English? A deficient language. Learn German or Polish. And you will understand it immediately. Or Spanish. Which, too, is a pretty reasonable language... Incidentally, with me, none of the previous languages interfered with the learning of a new one. Except in this case. The remnants of Spanish get into the way as I try to learn Esperanto. Actually, I've learned it. I can translate FROM it. No problem. But the primary form of ANY language's life is it SPOKEN form. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Abacus

  It hurts. It hurts deeply —mentally, psychologically, and in some other way that's hard to describe. B...