Monday, December 23, 2019

On the Wrestling Mat



No, I NEVER give in. That’s why a lot of people don’t like me. In this respect, I’m just like my father, a remarkable individual who deserves volumes of colorful description.
Lord keep him for all his idiocies!
Among those rare instances where I actually gave up, the one that comes to mind occurred during my athletic career as a wrestler (I also used to be a weightlifter and amateur gymnast). It was some minor local sporting event. I was quite strong, but was a novice and unknown to the public. My opponent was a renowned wrestling champ. And was he strong! I felt it immediately as we shook hands before the match. But, you know, luck smiles on beginners and fools.
I had him down on the mat in a flash. How I managed to take down a bull like that is still a mystery to me. It might have been fear. Or maybe it was his overconfidence in facing a small boy without titles. Whatever it was, the crowd roared. They were with me. They longed for my victory and this added to my strength. They wanted to see the champion defeated, preferably by a kid from the provinces. The public always supports young unknowns from the sticks. All the same, I couldn't hold him down, although I was in the prime of my strength. He had obtained all his titles with good reason, after all...He endured my assault, recovered, and then went on the offensive. His techniques were many and varied. One of them was grabbing me by the balls. This brought me no joy. I appealed to the ref.
"Come on, boy!" was the neutral reply. “Go do your thing..."
My opponent took me down. There I am in the bridge — a seriously disadvantageous position for any wrestler. You need stamina, will power and a bovine neck to continue fighting in the bridge. Fight on I did. But... then the bugger grabbed me by the balls again! And started pulling them like suspenders!
As I was gazing reflectively at the bright lights on the ceiling in peril of losing one of my chief assets, I concluded that, whatever the outcome, my life would continue after the match and my testicles might come in handy some day. After a moment’s meditation, I relaxed, broke the bridge, and gave in. For the good of the future generations, if you will.
No, I NEVER give in, unless it’s for the good of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Abacus

  It hurts. It hurts deeply —mentally, psychologically, and in some other way that's hard to describe. B...