Monday, December 23, 2019

Two Pictures


Years ago, Germans came to Russia, with weapons, on tanks and aircraft. Figuratively speaking, for exterminating the Russians and turning their land into Germany’s supply depot. Or is it not true? Did they come with grants and presents?
Side by side with Russian men, many Russian women fought at the front and in guerilla detachments. The German plan did not work from the very start. Though taken unawares (thousands of the servicemen were killed in the initial stage of the war) the Russians put up a very tough resistance, unexpected by the Nazis. I read some of their memoirs. Many write that in the very first year, at the approaches to Moscow, they realized that the war against the Russians can’t be won. If not won, it will be lost.
Around 30 million Russians (my uncle among them) died in the fight. That woman, a sniper, was lying in a camouflaged shelter, and shot at the Germans, preferably officers. On the other side were the Germans. Look at that cheerful and handsome German fellow. She was aiming at him. She wanted TO KILL him. And he (what a good-looking guy) was killing the Russians in the villages he entered. Hanging people and burning them alive was common.
I am WONDERING why people were killing one another. I’ve worked with the Germans, and my memories of them are of the best possible sort. Excellent workmen, good and reliable friends, true to their word, sentimental and with a sense of humor. I spoke their language and felt quite comfortable in their midst. Good people. But what did they (their grandfathers) do in Russia? And not Russia alone…. WHAT turns people against one another? VAST masses of people get involved in the killing process, resorting to kill things manufactured on a large industrial basis.
I PERSONALLY do not wish to kill anybody. And don’t want my son to be involved in anything like it. But … I know. Once an order is issued, I’ll be drafted. If I refuse to report, a group of armed people will come and I’ll be tried, convicted and, very likely, shot dead for treason. But it was not so in that war. Back then the Germans invaded Russia, started killing and the Russians fought back. The drafting was formal. Many men volunteered since everybody realized that the enemy had come to their home.
I am VERY, VERY sorry for millions who had died in that war, including many Germans. I am especially sorry for their mothers. As a parent, I realize what a terrible blow it had been to them to lose their child. WHO invented that thing know as WAR? Some say it’s Hitler’s fault. I think the cause is much deeper. It’s not a matter of personalities. It’s a matter of social arrangement and human nature. Anyway… a fact is a fact. Instead of lying in bed, creating and then raising children, then two young and beautiful people are killing each other. So it goes… Yes, we have what to consider and ponder on. Especially when we look at those two pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Abacus

  It hurts. It hurts deeply —mentally, psychologically, and in some other way that's hard to describe. B...